[CQ-Contest] CONTEST IDing

k8cc k8cc at mediaone.net
Thu Nov 30 18:36:11 EST 2000

At 08:09 PM 11/30/00 -0800, James B. Neiger wrote:

>FWIW DEPARTMENT:
>
>It's interesting to digest so many opinions as to how and when DX stations
>should ID.  Unfortunately, too many of the opinions are from those who most
>likely haven't had to figure it out, real time.
>
>When I started my DXpeditioning career 35 years ago, I attempted to follow
>the guidelines so aptly established by one we all admired, Katashi Nose,
>KH6IJ.  Nosey very effectively signed his call after EVERY contact, and this
>did THREE things:
>
>(1) I acknowledge the exchange and call you sent,
>
>(2) I am KH6IJ,
>
>(3) QRZ?

I'd say Jim hit the nail right on the head.

The problem galls me even more on SSB.  In CQWW SSB I encountered stations
who would repeatedly call "QRZ?" multiple times in a row without giving
their callsigns.  QRZ means "who is calling me?"  To call QRZ? without your
callsign when nobody was calling you (evidenced by the multiple QRZs) makes
no sense.  This seems to be a predominately South American operating technique.

If a contester calls QRZ just as I'm tuning by, I may call him or I might
not (assuming that there was someone else in there).  If I do call him, I'm
doing it blind if he doesn't identify at the end of the QSO, I still don't
know his call, and if a pileup develops I have to fight thru again to
ask.  This entire operating style is not very smart.

The contester running a pileup must continually adjust his style to
maximize the rate.  Visualize what you sense the pileup needs and what the
rate will accept.  I've done 250+ signing my call every QSO on SSB from the
Caribbean.  Signing only every so often might improve this, but then I have
to remember when I last identified.

Great ops like Nose get remembered for years.

73,

Dave/K8CC

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com