[CQ-Contest] Internet/WebCam in the contest?!

Gilmer, Mike mgilmer at gnlp.com
Tue Oct 3 13:17:42 EDT 2000

The more I think about it, the more I don't believe a webcam solicits.  To
me solicitation is an ACTIVE request for contacts.  "Please oh please work
me on 14.228 right now!", or similar fits the description of a solicitation
in general, and more importantly fits the spirit of CQ's rules.  Having a
webcam (even one that shows the frequency) just does NOT.

Someone has to already know about and then go find the webcam for themselves
on the wasteland we call the Internet.  These "someones" are doing the
trolling, not the webcams' operators.  The webcam just sits there spitting
out pseudo-video.  The webcam/operator doesn't ring up anybody on the phone
or send them a telegram nor does the webcam's URL show up scrolling across
the bottom of CT saying, "Work me!"

Does an announcement on a DX web site posted by a DXpedition crew solicit?
Sure, it, in essence says, "Work me on all bands in CQWW CW!".  Is it
displayed during contests? Yup.  Is it using non-amateur means?  Yes.  Is it
against the spirit of the rules?  I don't think so - no more than a webcam.
The hams theorized as being "solicited" have to actively seek out the
"solicitation".

73 Mike N2MG

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com