[CQ-Contest] Getting Kids into Contesting

Doug Grant k1dg at ix.netcom.com
Thu Oct 19 12:49:08 EDT 2000

I read with interest the recent discussions about the lack of new blood in
contesting and ham radio in general, and "the thrill being gone".

For the past several years, I have opened my station for visits from the
local Boy (and Girl!) Scouts during the Jamboree-on-the-Air (JOTA). I have
found it to be a very rewarding experience, for both them and me.

JOTA takes place on the 3rd full weekend of October, one week before WW SSB,
so this is now Officially a Contest-Related Post (tm). It's a great way to
make sure your station is in good shape, because anything broken will be
revealed during a demonstration.

I have noticed that there is unfortunately not much overlap between the
big-signal contesters and the public-service-minded hams. Well-meaning hams
with below-average stations attempt to impress Scouts from the
Web/MTV/cellphone generation with how cool ham radio is by struggling to
complete a shaky QSO using their tuna-fish-can QRP rig and random-wire
antenna. Duh.

I found operating from home with a KW and stacks to be much more effective
in making demonstration QSOs. The kids also thought the antennas were pretty
cool ("You climb all the way up THERE?!??"). I have also found that the
packet cluster was a cool demo...I put out an "Announce/FULL" asking
stations to send TALK messages back with their QTH, name, etc. Messages
poured in for the next half hour!

One year, I was asked to help out with a JOTA demo at a local campout. The
previous year, the hams that helped had strung up a trap dipole at about 10
feet. They didn't work many people. I showed up with my slingshot, sinkers,
and other tools for installing high wire antennas. The open-wire-fed 80M
dipole up 80 feet or so played VERY well, even barefoot. In fact, I got
almost as many questions about how I got the ropes holding the dipole "up
there" as I did about the radio stuff (answer: slingshot, several sizes of
line, and knots I learned way back when I was in Scouts ).

I would like to encourage you big-signal guys out there to do a small part
in the demonstrations that will be on the bands on October 21. Listen for a
Jamboree station, and call in to say hello. The participants on the other
end will appreciate the big signal to work, and their demos will be all the
more effective. If you are on a DXpedition for the contest, and running a
pileup warming up for the WW, take a break once in a while and listen for
the Scouts who might be calling
(Ben - please don't make me use the cell-phone to call you in Morocco!).

If you have a big station and have a connection to an active Scout group,
invite them over...and invite the parents too. I have found that they are
also curious and learn as much about ham radio as the kids. And since
Scouters tend to be active in a lot of community affairs, good publicity
with them can pay dividends when it's tower-permit-hearing time.

There's a lot of stuff on the ARRL Web site regarding JOTA, and an Official
JOTA site at http://www.bsa.scouting.org/international/jota.html with a lot
of suggestions on how to get kids to get over their mike-fright, and
suggested topics. It's been interesting to watch the troop's "tough guy"
melt down in front of a mike, while the shy kid who's been quietly watching
and paying attention takes his/her turn and reveals N5TJ-level operating
skill. There really are "naturals" - I've seen them!

I cannot say that any of the Scouts that have visited my station have gotten
licensed or into contesting as a result...yet. But I think the seeds have
been planted, and someday I am going to hear "K1DG, you're 5909, and thanks
for the introduction to ham radio back when I was a Scout 20 years ago."

And since the latest fad is pre-event promotion, please listen for K1DG on
October 21, probably on SSB on the highest band open. I will be operating
portable (yes...one of those weak stations, but with 200W and a high dipole
on a hilltop, hopefullly not TOO weak) at a local district Camporee with 400
Scouts running around, most of them seeing and hearing ham radio for the
first time...and maybe hearing YOUR voice!

73,

Doug K1DG

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com