[CQ-Contest] Exisiting Penalty System is Working Very Well

kl7ra kl7ra at blizzard.gcgo.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 6 16:51:02 EDT 2000

Tree, Doug and others write:

Reasons for penalty-

And they follow with a long list of logic, NONE OF WHICH ARE TRUE when
one or more competitors in the class/section "cheats" by recording the
contest. The incentive to "cheat" is promoted by the disproportional
penalty (greater the penalty, greater the reward for recording) and
the fact it's [impossible] to be caught UNLIKE excessive power or
packet assist.

If you read pro-penalty posts you find no mention of "recording".  The
reason is obvious. Recording a contest to review and edit the log
screws the system.  Too bad really as I strongly support computer log
checking and my hope was to reduce the problem before it became common
place. Probably too late.

73 Rich KL7RA

Note for Tree - There is a Cray C90 computer on E-bay. If you got that
for log cross-checking, you would be in hog heaven.

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com