[CQ-Contest] Dupes and computer logs

Richard J. Norton ae327 at lafn.org
Thu Sep 7 09:24:41 EDT 2000

Others have already given the correct answer to this question, but to
restate it in other words -

If at the end of the situation you described, you are not sure if the
station is W7WHY or W7WSY -

Ask, "Is ur call W7WHY or W7WSY?"

If he comes back with W7WHY, say, "W7WHY TU" or at least "WHY TU"

If he does not come back, say "SRI NO QSO" and do not log anything.

The contact has not been made until W7WHY hears you acknowledge,
either overtly or by implication, that his exchange has been received.
If he leaves before answering your question, he has not made a
contact.

BTW, I seriously doubt if W7WHY actually sends "W7WSY," although it
may sound like that to you. Note also that W7WHY has been active in
contests long enough that most active participants know and expect his
callsign, and will never be in this dilemma.

If you still don't believe us, let me put it another way -

There is no log-processing software in existence that can cope with
your expectations, nor are any changes that would provide such
capability planned. There are many much more important issues needing
work. All software is developed by volunteers who already sacrifice
many hours per year.

If you put things in your log like:

W7WHYIMNOTSUREWEWORKED
WB2XQJYISALID
WB6XXZQRMEDME,

expect the software to tell you things like:

303 -B W7WHYIMNOTSUREWEWORKED  W7WHY(565)

and remove 4 contacts from your log.

Please put only callsigns of the stations you have worked in the log.
It is very unlikely that the software can recognize any comments you
make suggesting anything else.

Thank you.

73,

Dick Norton, N6AA