[CQ-Contest] Penalties, cheating, unfair advantages, ad nauseating.....

W2CE at aol.com W2CE at aol.com
Fri Sep 8 18:52:00 EDT 2000

In a message dated 9/8/00 04:40:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
trogo at telegraphy.com writes:

> Hey, this is a hobby not a life/death situation - quit your bitchin',
>  get on the air and do the best you can.  Put all the time and energy
>  you're expending on this "CRAP" toward making your station better
>  and yourself a better operator.

And once the need for computerized log checking came about I stopped
bothering to operate. I will admit though working IARU and on the claimed
list stayed in to Top 10 USA SOP with only 12 hours operating. That will be
in my mind and logs as a decent return to some operating time. That score
didn't catch some multiplier goofs computer wise.

The fact that I wasn't using a current program with Cabrillo output kefpt me
from even thinking of submitting the entry.

I was on the air to compete and worked plenty of friends, but as for being
interested in submiting a log for standings or an award, forget it. The guys
pushing for the ultimate correct error free log have pushed me out. I don't
need to pour back over logs for mistales, lost mults, etc. That isn't
operating.

Normally I would only submit an SS score anyway, last year I didn't even both
with that.

Take about maybe 2-300 dedicated contest operators who always send in their
logs and then look at the rest who do it for the fun. How much extra work do
you think these people will take in paper or special file types ? When will
this extra work push them away from even casual contesting ? After 30+ years
or never missing a major contest weekend either personally or at some M/M I'm
ready to dump contesting except for cub efforts where someone else can worry
about the logs and paperwork.

  73, Bob W2CE

  W2CE at aol.com    W2CE at juno.com    W2CE at arrl.net

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com