[CQ-Contest] Dupes and computer logs

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Sat Sep 9 09:54:02 EDT 2000

On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 10:08:51PM -0400, Guy Olinger, K2AV wrote:

> One thing in particular burns me up, and the W7WHY example doesn't
> illustrate it. Let me explain.
>
> I'm on forty meters, and as always happens, someone with the proverbial
> wet noodle antenna is returning my CQ, in and out with QSB up and down,
> copiable in between static crashes. For me it's usually an eastern EU
> station with an obviously limited station.
>
> I think I've got him. Then I send his call, and he comes back sending
> again, and I'm not sure I hear it the same. I go through the cycle again
> several times. I have OK7XYZ written down twice and OK7XYG twice. THEN,
> because I've been spending a lot of time with my 1500 watts NOT
> transmitting, listening to try and get his call right, N$%##& with a
> better location, a tower, a beam, and no manners, dumps on my frequency
> and starts calling CQ. I can't keep the frequency.
>
> I don't get to tell XYZorXYG no QSO, even if I wanted to. We've been
> splatted.

You don't need to tell another station "NO QSO" in order for no contact to
have been made.  More to the point, the other station doesn't need to
hear you send "NO QSO" in order to conclude that no contact has been made.

Your arguments propose that one-way communications should count as one-way
contacts.  Or, at the very least, that the station that heard your
transmissions should be allowed to log you without worrying about whether
or not a real two-way communications event has occured.

I don't think this is in the best interest of healthy contesting.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com