[CQ-Contest] Post-contest review

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mb.sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 12 04:49:29 EDT 2000

Hello all,

I read with interest the question on whether any particular rule
forbids post-contest log-fixing.

(Before anybody gets their dander in a tizzy, I'm on the side of those
who believe fixing obvious, honest typos is OK.)

My observation is this: the ARRL General Rules for HF contests state
that only QSOs where each station has sent, received and logged
callsign and exchange info correctly and acknowledged same can be
considered complete.

Then, specific contests' rules spell out the times during which QSOs
can be completed.

So if (in an ARRL contest) you can only complete a QSO by logging it
correctly, and you can only complete QSOs during the contest period,
and you can only exchange information as spelled out in the rules
(say, using CW on the non-WARC bands from 3.5 to 30 MHz), doesn't the
cumulative effect of those rules prohibit activities such as comparing
log data with friends and fixing discrepancies, verifying section
information in callbooks or using the Internet to see if that's guy's
check really was 35?

That said, this ain't typing class. If you work VE4XT and type in
VE45XT 'cuz your fingers are too fat, or screw up by putting a sp ace
in th e wro ng spo t (VE4XT5 99 MB), surely it must be reasonable, if
not expected, to correct that.

Also, isn't it dangerous to assume that because the info you logged
doesn't jibe with what you see elsewhere, it must mean you made an
error? I mean, you can look up my info and see that my SS check should
be 82. Yet if I let a guest operate, maybe he uses his own check.

Thoughts?

Kelly
ve4xt

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com