[CQ-Contest] The thrill is gone

Robert Shohet kq2m at mags.net
Sat Sep 16 18:25:13 EDT 2000

Hi Kirk,

Let me share some personal observations with you....

1) Most of the really good ops that I know did NOT start at the "big"
stations, they started with a crappy radio, low dipole and a few crystals.
They were passionate and developed their skills to a high level on their way
to becoming really good ops at which point they usually got invited to
better stations and so on.  Many also went on dxpeditions and improved their
skills further.  Guys who started with big stations rarely, if ever,
acheived the same level of skill as those who were hungrier and started with
much less.

2) For some, "Might makes right" but being a bully always looks bad compared
to skill and courtesy.  Very few people really mistake being loud and a
bully for being a good op and vice-versa.   Those who are loud and not
bullies usually become known as good ops, especially if they do well year
after year.  Most know who these guys are too and respect them.  A good op
with real skill AND courtesy is quite rare and has much to be proud of!

You may not have the time, interest or money to build a big station, but
unless you need to win, this should not stand in the way of your being
competitive and scoring well and having fun.

3) My competition has always been myself and no other competition could be
tougher.  Why?  Because I know what I and my station are capable of in any
contest as I adjust to propagation, equipment failures, fatigue, etc.
Rarely can I exceed my expectations, usually I just hope to live up to them.
When I do, I am happy regardless of where I finish.  If I don't do what I
feel I was capable of, it doesn't matter much who else I place ahead of, but
I still had fun.  Competing against a different op, at a different station,
with different propagation/equipment/location/etc. is a real setup for
disappointment.  Competing against yourself is tougher (if you are a
perfectionist) but much more realistic and rewarding in the long run.

My advice is to compete against yourself, always look to learn something new
and improve your skills. Most of all - HAVE FUN!  If you aren't having fun,
turn off the radio and go do something else. Life is too short to spend time
at something you are not enjoying (unless of course you have to do it).
Your interest in contesting will wax and wane throughout your life for many
reasons, some of which will have nothing to do with contesting.  Don't worry
about it.  Just pursue it to the level at which you have fun and you will be
fine.

With three consulting businesses and a 13-month old daughter I am just too
exhausted most weekends to even think about turning on a radio.  I don't
have the enthusiasm that I used to nor the energy (even at age 39).  So I
pick my spots and push real hard in the events that I do enjoy and I spend
the rest of the time with my businesses and my family.  Not the perfect
solution, but there is balance in my life, I spend the most time doing the
most important things (my family) AND I still get to contest.

I hope that you find your solution.  Hang in there.

73

Bob KQ2M

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com