[CQ-Contest] Young people / the thrill is gone.

Len Revelle lenrev at ameritech.net
Sun Sep 17 10:46:26 EDT 2000

I, too, regret that Cedrick believes so many contesters are cheating but the
reasons he has this impression are not new.

I've actively participated is a few contests every year since the sixties.
During that time I've noted there are always those who seem to have a signal
advantage though mere single KW's are reported. How many have amps capable
of many kilowatts so they can run cool by loafing at a small percentage of
their capabilities. We are allowed power limits but often see photos of the
perenial winners with multi-8877 amps or LP entrants with an amp on the
desk.I don't believe Corvette owners never exceed 55 either!

If all these are truely following the output limits then antenna are
obviously the reason for their success in raw signal. I have seen some
impressive antenna farms and don't doubt this is the backbone for a
successfull contest station's equipment. I also realize that I will never be
able to compete, from an equipment standpoint, as my family still insists on
a disproportionate chunk of my income.

Operator skill remains the key element in contesting. Mine is mediocre but
I've listened to many of the younger ops, including Cedrick, and rate him
among the better of the relative newcomers.

I believe Cedrick, and others, fall victim to discouragement because they've
reached a reasonable skill level and find the playing field is uneven
because the $$$$$ still counts when skills are equal.

To those I would suggest, remember in all endeavors there are those few with
the means to excell that depend on the many who keep 'em there. Most of us
will always be the the fodder for those who can afford the equipment, time
off from work, and attract the hired guns. Make your challenges personal
rather than live to beat the rest. You can't in many cases so personal goals
will suffice.