[CQ-Contest] Young people.

Dale L Martin kg5u at hal-pc.org
Sun Sep 17 13:56:12 EDT 2000

> There is already one such contest aimed at college and university
> operators.
> The Collegiate Championship has "piggy-backed" on the ARRL
> November Sweepstakes
> for six years now.  College and university clubs enter the Sweepstakes
> operating multi-single from their on-campus club stations, and
> afterwards, we
> compare scores.  It has become very popular.
>
> http://www.collegiatechampionship.org/

As has the School Club Roundup that is conducted each February and the Kid's
Day Contests.

While the SCR activity seems to be more from the elementary/middle, Jr., and
High schools, there are some university clubs participating.

School (all levels) club participation has been increasing each year.  But,
it takes hams who take the time to get the schools setup with clubs and
stations--generally, teachers who are also hams--and school administrations
who can be convinced as to the practicality and utility of an on-campus
station.

One way we, as contesters, can support them is to participate in the SCR
contest.  We can get on and give out contacts to the school club groups and
show the colors, so to speak.  Hmm...we might then become the "I'm not in
the contest, but I'll give you a point" QSO's we ourselves get in many
contests.  Whether from our home stations, club stations, or from work (I
operate the SCR from our club station at work: W5RRR--the kids get a great
kick out of talking to the Johnson Space Center.), we can make a difference.

73,
dale, kg5u

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com