[CQ-Contest] off times

Bruce Lifter wt4i at brevard.net
Fri Sep 22 07:26:12 EDT 2000

Having to take an Off-times is just one more factor to be considered in
a contest. The fact that you can't work the entire contest says you have
to plan out your contest. If you take time off poorly, you may miss an
opening
and lose some critical multipliers. I think by having to take Off-times,
some of the brute force is taken out of a contest and some strategy or
the use of some brain cells is added in.

The participation of a contest is affected by the off-times of a contest.
I personally will rarely competitively chase a no Off-time 48 hour contest
as a single operator. A contest like CQ WW encourages participation in
a multi-operator effort. On the other hand, a contest like the WPX
contest gets pretty slow for a multi-op at times. All the single-ops
are sleeping while the multi-ops are begging for contacts.

Don't look at Off-times as a single operator penalty but just as one more
of the dynamics that makes a contest unique.

73, Bruce