[CQ-Contest] CC&R Category

W2CE at aol.com W2CE at aol.com
Sun Sep 24 22:45:40 EDT 2000

In a message dated 9/24/00 09:22:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
w4an at contesting.com writes:

>  CC&R Category Low Power & QRP - Stations must not be greater than 1 acre
>  in size and must be made up entirely of wire antennas or single element
>  commercial antennas such as multi-band verticals.

Living in an area that technically does not allow antennas period, the idea
is amusing, but can really be stretched real far.

With no antennas allowed at all, I have been using a CushCraft AP8-A vertical
in several sweepstakes. The antenna hides in a 20 foot circle in the woods
and has a very nice ground system. Radials are all 1/4 wave pieces of 3/4"
CATV hardline. 4 on 80, 4 on 40, 8 on 20. Having worked only QRP as my
challenging aspect to contesting I have worked 76, 71, and 74 sections QRP in
the last 3 phone sweepstakes. One year I broke in on a MT station comparing
mults with a local on 75 for a new mult to wake him up.

Full wave loops for 40 meters and 20 meters have been added in the woods and
today a hole dug for 20 feet of tower to support an R-5 just because I found
one.

Give me an acre to play with, no restrictions on how high I can get an 80
meter loop in the trees and lots more can be done.

Don't think that a few restrictions keep a person off the air. Just a few db
below the rest of the pack. You really have to go pretty far in restricting
antennas before you kill contesting. Sure, I'd like to be classified with
others closer to what I can set up, but choosing the right band at the right
time is another part of it.

So far I have only missed 1 sweepstakes mult I've tried for. VY1 and not by
much. In a QRP moment he copied W2C before someone else called over me and
the QRP period ended.

Contesting is a factor of the effort put into it. I've even sat at the end of
the ferry in Lewes, DE just to try the mobile from a desired section.

  73, Bob W2CE

  W2CE at aol.com    W2CE at juno.com    W2CE at arrl.net

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com