[CQ-Contest] Handicaps, etc. was CC&R Category

Marty N5NW at midsouth.rr.com
Wed Sep 27 15:04:45 EDT 2000

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000 09:10:25 -0400, "Gilmer, Mike" <mgilmer at gnlp.com> wrote:

>This started as a thread (I know, the subject changed) to try to figure out
>a way to separate (yup, new category) those with no reasonable CHOICE in
>their equipment (antennas mostly).  Now it's being suggested that one get
>"penalized" in effect for having the choice and taking advantage of it by
>putting up better antennas.  Also, I would think any attempt to handicap
>based on ERP must also take into account local terrain, tower height, coax
>losses, etc.

My thought in initiating a discussion about a "par" and "handicap" would be
that such a system would only help those below a certain level, to adjust
scores to that level.  If a base of "scratch" or no adjustment were
established at "tribander and wire" level, then no adjustment would be made to
scores where that level was used.

I do not mean to suggest, nor do I support, penalties for anyone, nor
adjustment to make little pistols competitive with megastations.  Only to give
everyone some sort of adjustment to get to a particular "minimal" level, like
barefoot tribander and wire.  If appropriately done, then those with minimal
setups (random wire, or some such) can "outperform" their equipment in their
final scores.

>PLEASE don't suggest using (only) handicapped scores for competition.  This
>would remove almost all incentive for making contest station (antennas
>mostly) improvements.  If this is NOT the suggestion, I apologize.

It is not the suggestion.  I would leave the premier contests as "open" or no
handicap.  I can't expect to compete in the British open and receive help from
a handicap, but I should expect help in a tournament of local/regional and in
some cases national scope.

>Uh, which is it, "a series of classes" OR "No additional classes"?

I would prefer no additional classes, and in fact if the system were adequate,
I'd suggest eliminating classes.  But there should be one "unlimited" class in
which anything authorized by the local regulations concerning Amateur Radio is
allowed.  Everything else might operate in "restricted" or "QRP" classes.

It is not my intention to put forth a concrete proposal, only to open up an
avenue of discussion on a conceptual level.  There is much work ahead of these
ideas ...

--
Marty, N5NW
Lakeland (Memphis), Tennessee                       http://marty.w.tripod.com/