[CQ-Contest] SPOTTING

Tom Baugh tombaugh at discoverynet.com
Tue Apr 3 19:49:55 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Coleman" <aa4lr at arrl.net>
To: "Ed Himwich N3HXQ" <n3hxq at arrl.net>; <CQ-Contest at contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 9:19 AM
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KL7RA needs advice

 > On 3/29/01 9:41 PM, Ed Himwich N3HXQ at n3hxq at arrl.net wrote:
 >
 >  >It would be nice if the
 >  >rules of some of the contests could be a little clearer about things
 >  >like: does asking for a spot on the air make you assisted.
 >
 > Actually, the question should be: does asking for a spot on the air make
 > you unsportsmanlike. And the answer should be: Yes

You may say so But I don't think everyone agrees.
It is "USING AMATEUR MEANS" for the individual to ask for the spot
He is on the amateur bands making an amateur request.
It is up to the person receiving the request to spot or not spot.
This is the risk the requester must weigh when asking.
Will he or won't he spot me?
Is it worth my time to ask this individual or should I use the time more
wisely?

I do beleive that asking for the spot is "ASKING FOR ASSISTANCE" but I also
believe a single operator should use a single radio.

The rules are the rules. Interpretted by individuals differently is not
surprising. When a jury can evaluate a case openly and come to the
conclusion that there is a disagreement.. we have an open society. When we
don't have these freedoms we have a problem.

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com