[CQ-Contest] ionospheric absorption not heating

Barry Kirkwood bjk at ihug.co.nz
Thu Apr 5 09:20:18 EDT 2001

Very interesting, Larry.
(It is moments like these that I realise that I know very little about the
physical fundamentals of ionospheric propagation)
I think we have all encountered the phenomenon of strong signals on an
otherwise dead band that Larry speaks of. My intuition was that it was due
to spotty distribution of ionisation.
A possibly related phenomenon:
These are relatively weak signals that appear as the only signals on the
band when the bands are closed or closing. In many cases these signals are
from quite modest stations, frequently using ground plane antennas.
My interpretation is that these stations have some significant very low
angle radiation which gets through under these conditions. When the band
opens up a little the stations with beams at good height are much stronger.
I was stuck with modest elevated ground plane type antennas on hf for years
and had the impression that they were quite good when bands were marginal
but a bit pathetic when the bands were open.
Comments?
73

end
Barry Kirkwood PhD ZL1DD