[CQ-Contest] Dinged Good QSOs

K4SB k4sb at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 2 22:52:21 EDT 2001

Yes, I remember putting in a 20 Q log for the CQWW CW a few years
back,
only to have my score reduced by 60% -- primarily due to stateside
stations who didn't bother to log my QSO. ARGH!

OK, if I remember correctly, the odds of flipping a coin and getting
heads 3 times are infinite. ( or maybe one of you "younger" math wizs
can post what it really is. ) If that is so, how many logs must be
submitted to drop this to an acceptable level?

I also, in reading the posts about other sports, seem to think the
common thread is all have rules, breaking a rule will penalize you,
and that's it. I remember well a golf leader who forgot to either sign
or add up his scorecard. DQed! And he accepted it like a gentleman. He
broke a rule and he knew it. I don't remember his asking that Tiger,
or 3 others be dqed also.

The checkers don't make the rules, the sponsors do. And again, I think
the only way to really get their attention is for all of us to pick a
contest, and NO ONE submit a log. Painful medicine, but sometimes you
have to use a club to get someone's attention. They may sponsor it,
but we pay for it, and we work it.

Or is it time for another test to replace the CQWW CW in Oct. One in
which by consensus we make our own rules.

73
Ed

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com