[CQ-Contest] Dinged Good QSOs

K4SB k4sb at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 3 22:07:44 EDT 2001

Ward Silver wrote:
> I'm having trouble seeing the point, but the odds are 1-in-8, for what
> it's worth.

-------------------
Point here is that at least 8 stations YOU work would have to submit a
log. (and the ARRL announcement of DXCC QRP ((that's less than 5KW for
you wrong coasters ) will certainly be a distraction as people look
for Qs, and have no interest in submitting a log. Not to mention the
announcement that by this time next year, electronic logs will be
accepted, and if you're there, no need to QSL.
------------------------------>

> So the multi-stroke penalties for going off-course, redropping your ball,
> etc. are unfair?  It was only one stroke that put the ball in play!
> Clearly, the golf rule makers felt that some errors are more severe than
> other and assessed a penalty that reflected their assessment, leading to
> more accurate and high-quality play.
-------------------------
No, that's not what I said. Golf and most all sports are a "one thing
at a time" event. The rules don't say you cannot knock it out of
bounds, only that it will cost you if you do. Been a long time since I
played, but such things as grounding your club in a sand pit, going
into the water, touching the ball while not on the green all carry the
same penalty. As I said earlier, different sports have different
rules. You can knock all the balls you want out of bound and perhaps
finish the hole with a 9 score. But, in basketball, you get too rough
with the other team, and you're out of there after 5. Get a little too
physical, and I've seen this 2 or 3 times, and 1 foul will get you
ejected right there. And "mouthing off", as Cox did in the last two
Braves vs St. Louis games, got him  a free pass to the locker room. (
and I'll pass on the advantage for either team that created) It didn't
result in having to play with only 6 guys on the field.

So you bust 1 call, making an error by the rules, and you get 3 good
ones taken out also. Sorta like being sentenced to 10 years for
running a stop light.

I think the basic argument is the penalty does not fit the crime.
What's wrong with at least, for 1 year, going to a lesser penalty?

With greatest respects to "Hi You"

73
Ed

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com