[CQ-Contest] To the "Best of the Best" - a query

Dale L Martin kg5u at hal-pc.org
Mon Aug 6 21:18:26 EDT 2001

> The only way to really appreciate the great operators is to sit
> next to them
> for awhile listening to the same audio they are.  You will
> quickly see what
> makes them good.  They get things fast and accurately.  They know when to
> ask for repeats.  They understand the "game" of contesting and how to
> motivate/manipulate the people inside the radio to do what they want.

I agree wholeheartedly.  I have been fortunate to be able to work with
observe the operating practices of the likes of K5GN, K5GA, K5LZO, KN5H,
N5JJ(sk), NM5M, K5WA(sk), N5DU (now K5WA), K2TNO, W5ASP, NA5R, NR5M, even
K5ZD once or twice, and a number of others in multi-op situations here in
the Houston area over the years.  I recognized it then as a great
opportunity to find out 'how they did it' and certainly feel like I learned
a lot from watching them work.  Thanks, guys.

While sharing headphone outputs on 20m CW one night with K5GN at NR5M, we
found we were sensitive/receptive to different CW tones.  While Dave picked
up maybe high tone CW notes, I was catching and writing down calls of the
low tone note callers and feeding them to him.  Great fun.

I still find, though, that the people inside their radios were and are much
smarter than the people in my radios--my radio people seem to have great
difficulties finding the headphone jack.

73,
dale, kg5u

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com