[CQ-Contest] Backups

Jerry Keller dxdog at rcn.com
Thu Aug 9 00:18:19 EDT 2001

Jim:
I know of two types of recordable CD's.... CD-W and CD-RW.   CD-W can be
written to one time and getting to be almost as cheap as dirt; CD-RW can be
re-recorded many times, and are somewhat more expensive.  Both can be read
only by drives and programs compatible with the drives/programs with which
they were recorded.  I use Roxio (used to be Adaptec) CD Creator 5.... works
like a charm to back up my entire hard drive contents on 6 CD-W's, which I
keep until the 2nd back-up and then discard. That way I have 2 overlapping
back-ups, one a little older than the most recent.  When I first manually
loaded everything onto my new hard drive it took many hours to get it set up
the way I wanted it.... and it took a real leap of faith to "test" the first
back-up set by formatting the drive and then restoring it with the back-up
CD's.... (Roxio even has you make a bootable floppy that allows you to boot
the empty hard disk, then takes you through the entire restoration
process.... worked OK for me, in fact quite straight-forward... but you will
have to make your own leap of faith, I can only relate how it worked for
me!!)
Good luck,  Jerry K3MGT