[CQ-Contest] Minimal SO2R -- is spacing enough?

k8cc k8cc at mediaone.net
Sat Aug 11 00:59:12 EDT 2001

At 08:46 AM 8/10/01 -0400, Pete Smith wrote:
>I'm contemplating SO2R for the first time.  I have the two radios and a
>decent amount of real estate.  My question, hoping to benefit from others'
>experience -- do I stand a chance of doing this on CW, relying solely on
>polarity diversity, low power on the second radio and distance between
>antennas?  Or should I just assume the worst and plan on bandpass filters?
>For the second radio, I'm thinking of an R-5 or similar vertical, spaced
>about 300 feet from my yagis, running 100 watts.

Pete,

For WRTC 1996 the station assigned to each team had a triband beam and a
40M dipole.  We were also assigned a set of single-band ICE bandpass
filters for 40, 20, 15, and 10 meters.  We had two 100W rigs, but only one
could transmit.  The presumption of this configuration is that one radio
runs QSOs using the "correct" antenna for that band while the other radio
searches for multipliers using the "other" antenna.  Antenna and filter
switching was dictated to be manual.

At our station (W6P) the 40M dipole was only three to four feet below the
tribander.  Our radios were a pair of IC-765s.  Using the ICE filters we
had little or no interference problems.  However, the manual filter and
antenna switching was cumbersome.  I had brought a small box containing a
miniature pilot lamp as a fuse to protect the front end of the mult radio,
so we tried this without the bandpass filters.  The bulb promptly blew.

Later we tried listening on the mult radio without any filters and
discovered that the IC-765's front end was stronger than the lamp
fuse!  While running on the tribander, we could listen on other bands using
the 40M dipole with no bandpass filters.  Intermod QRM was pretty wild in
this configuration, so we only used it on occasion.

I offer this information simply to suggest that on occasion, in certain
configurations, that it may be possible to run SO2R without elaborate
filtering.  Certainly 3-4 foot spacing between antennas would be pretty
much worst case.  However, we were only running 100W.  Also, its been my
experience that the IC-765 front ends are pretty good.  Some radios like
the TS-830S have a coil in the front end that burns up under high RF levels.

So, while your mileage may very, use these data points to assess your
situation.

73,

Dave/K8CC

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com