[CQ-Contest] Reporting Bogus Station Addresses To The FCC

Nat Heatwole heatwole at clark.net
Sat Aug 11 17:24:03 EDT 2001

I may be in the minority here, but I am a contester who actually sends
please QSL's to other stateside stations attempting to gain a return QSL
(gasp). This is usually done for some award but has other more
station-specific reasons as well. Anyway, as I've been focusing in more of
my QSLing efforts on domestic stations recently and as a result have been
sending more please QSL's to stateside stations.

I've noticed an interesting trend that has followed my upswing of sending
more domestic QSL cards. More and more of them are being returned due to
bogus station addresses. Things such as "Attempted: Not Known" and "No Such
Address" is marked on the envelope when it's returned. And it's not just
individual's who have moved and have not yet informed the FCC. The *VAST*
majority of these bogus addresses belong to Contesting Clubs (I can tell
from the name listed on the callsign servers). I don't mean clubs like PVRC,
SECC, or YCCC (to name a few) but smaller contesting groups confined to much
smaller areas. Perhaps just a town or locality, or just a small group of
friends. Some of them are probably Single Op's who got a club call for WPX
as well.

I've always had a few of these returned but never as many as I've had
recently. I get all of my address information from QRZ.com or Buckmaster and
they get theirs direct from the FCC. This means that these contesting clubs
(and some individual contesters) have invalid station addresses registered
at the FCC for they callsign. This is a clear FCC rule violation and I
thought that I would start reporting these. Does anyone know how I would go
about reporting this to the FCC? Preferably through the Internet or snail
mail if possible. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

73, Nat, WZ3AR
<heatwole at clark.net>

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com