[CQ-Contest] Meaning of 'Off-Time'

Dan Levin djl at andlev.com
Sat Aug 11 18:07:25 EDT 2001

I was in the shower, when I had a thought.  I have been trying to get a new
160 meter antenna up at N6NF's place for NAQP next weekend.  Time is very
tight.  No problem, I realized - I have 2 hours of off-time during the
contest but before dark to work on it.

Then it hit me.  What does 'off-time' mean?  What if my competitor's
definition of 'off-time' is 'no transmitting.'  That means that they could
spend those 30 minute breaks filling their band-maps with mults.  Then once
their 30 minutes was done, they could run through those mults on their
second radio lickety split.  While that might not be an advantage to someone
who is really good on their second radio, it might mean 5 extra mults to
someone like me...

So the question is - can you listen on the radio during your off-time?

At least as interestingly - _do_ people listen during their 'off-time',
whether it is officially allowed or not?

For me, the issue is black and white.  'Off-time' means time off from the
contest - as in no contest related activities allowed.  Is that what other
people think too?

Always curious :-)

            ***dan, K6IF

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com