[CQ-Contest] 160m DX window dead?

andrew andrew at gi0nwg.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Aug 16 21:36:56 EDT 2001

Tom,

Well said.  Part 97.305 is quite clear regarding the use of different
modes within the various bands.  See http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi
-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=47&PART=97&SECTION=305&YEAR=2000&TYPE=TEXT for
details, but briefly, for 160m it shows....

Wavelength band   Frequencies     Emission types authorized
   160 m          Entire band     RTTY, data
   160 m          Entire band     Phone, image

I read this as saying any mode can be used anywhere within the 160m band
(within modulation limits, of course).  So, Mr. Hollingsworth can
enforce that to his heart is content ;-)

Now, had he been talking about the other eight HF bands which have
mode/frequency limits explicitly listed in Part 97.305, that would be a
different matter!

Andrew Williamson GI0NWG / AC6WI
ARRL Volunteer Examiner

One of the ZL9CI gang
http://www.qsl.net/zl9ci/

In message <001a01c12649$9364a800$5f01a8c0 at tom>, tombaugh
<tombaugh at discoverynet.com> writes

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com