[CQ-Contest] 160m Bandplan: "The Window"

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Fri Aug 17 22:31:25 EDT 2001

ZF2NT wrote:

1.  Am I allowed to call CQ in 1830-1835?  I once posed this question to a
160 contest director, and he suggested that since I was "semi-rare DX", I
could do so but should stick to the edges of the window.  That tells me that
what the rules really meant to say was that only people in countries with an
amateur population of less than x000 are allowed to call CQ there.  But that
isn't what's written.  The rules merely say, "intercontinental contacts
only".  Now, I do know that if as a lowly W6 I were to call CQ there then I
should expect the purists to chastise me severely for violating "the
window", even if I only acknowledge non-NA responses.  But the question is
whether I can call CQ when I'm under my ZF prefix?  And if not, then who
should be calling CQ there?

2.  Supposing I can call CQ in "the window", whom can I answer?  If I should
get a call from a US station in response to my CQ, what should I do?  Should
I hit my F6 key, programmed to send "SRI WINDOW  DX ONLY" every time I get a
call from a US station?  But that in itself would amount to a QSO, so I
suppose the answer is that I should simply pretend not to hear any US
callers?  This is a crucial question, and I really do need an answer.  But
realize, I may just follow that advice!

        Well stated Bruce...I can tell you've actually operated 160 in
contests before...unlike some Instant Internet Experts.

The exact CQ 160 rule( http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/160rules01.html ) says:

"Intercontinental DX Window: 1830 to 1835 kHz should be left clear for DX
stations for intercontinental QSOs in both contests. This is still voluntary
but essential if the contest is to continue to attract rare DX as entries.
USA, Canadian, and European stations should refrain from using the window
for local contacts. Please stay away from the window edges, too. This is a
gentleman's contest and band, so let's help make intercontinental contacts
happen."

        Your questions cut to the essence of the window problem!  Strict
interpretation says you could only QSO non-North American countries if you
call CQ there.  If ZF2NT does answer USA stations for example, the NA pileup
calling YOU will cover weaker European stations who may be there and N6NT
in California will surely get his nose out of joint because he's trying
to hear the weak EU underneath you and your huge pileup!  Conversely,
do I believe European stations calling CQ in the window answer only non-
Europeans...NO WAY!  This is why the whole concept is insane IMHO.  Probably
the only stations that could legitimately use the window are in South America,
Africa, Oceania and Asia.  NA and EU cannot use the window legitimately unless
they do not answer stations in their own continent which is highly unlikely
IMHO.  Fair to those in EU and NA who DON'T use the window...NO WAY!

        What would I do if I were you?...the same thing I do from here.  I
would tune the band, find the cleanest hole I could find OUTSIDE the window,
and start CQ-ing!  The DX will find you because I assure you most of it is
NOT in the window...despite what some seem to believe!

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com