[CQ-Contest] CW versus SSB in 160 Contests

Maurizio Panicara i4jmy at iol.it
Sat Aug 18 00:59:07 EDT 2001

Hi Bill,

I'm not totally convinced that the proportion with SSB/CW QSOs are so much a
matter of band, to me this fact depends also by the rules (mainly time) and
because of a relatively small number of entrants in the CQ160.

If the band was the true and only matter, the advantage of CW vs SSB would
replicate in any contest but this is not.
Let's consider the contest of contests:
in CQWWDX the 160m world top scores are:

World:   CW
1.8     C4A (9A3A/5B4ADA)    261,489     969    21    80   99
World   SSB
1.8     IG9/IV3TAN                   441,252   1203    24   102   96

Neglecting the score and considering the QSO number only, the difference is
24% but here in favour of SSB.
Moreover C4 and IG9 are enough close to each other to have similar
conditions and paths, beeing C4 a DXCC country while IG9 is not.

I'm quite convinced that a CQ160 modified in time and rules as indicated in
the poll of a few months ago (www.contesting.com)could substantially reduce
the
existing gap between CW and SSB, expecially when people won't have the high
bands open any more like in the solar peaks..... leaving *alone* for many
hours the 160m entrants.

73,
Mauri I4JMY