[CQ-Contest] 160m Bandplan: "The Window"

Joe Subich, K4IK w8ik at subich.com
Sat Aug 18 11:08:23 EDT 2001

> ZF2NT writes:
>
> 1.  Am I allowed to call CQ in 1830-1835?  I once posed this question
> to a 160 contest director, and he suggested that since I was "semi-rare
> DX", I could do so but should stick to the edges of the window.  That
> tells me that what the rules really meant to say was that only people
> in countries with an amateur population of less than x000 are allowed
> to call CQ there.

Bruce,

If one goes back to the original 160 Meter DX window (1825-1830), all
of the DX transmitting "in the window" were working split and listening
on announced frequencies OUTSIDE THE WINDOW.  It was only when "common"
DX and the big multi-multi stations started trying to push the envelope
by working transceive just inside the edge of the window that the
issue started to get clouded.  IMHO, DX windows only work if they are
used in conjunction with split operation ...

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK (ex-AD8I, W8IK)

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com