[CQ-Contest] YT6A's UBN experience

Yuri VA3UZ ut4uz at idirect.com
Sat Aug 25 10:08:24 EDT 2001

Hi, Contesters,

YT6A wrote:
> My experience with UBN is very painful. I started to have very high UBN's
> in last two years, and trying to find out exact reasons for it, I record
my
> operating as VP5MM in CQ WW CW. When I received very high UBN file ( 4,5%
+
> penalties??) I check it all on .wav files. And I
> found 10% of UBN's Q's as my real mistake, usually typing errors. But I
> found
> 90% of penalized Q's as correct contacts and very clear on audio replay???

<SNIP>

I seldom write to the reflector, but after I read the message from Ranko
regarding his CQ WW UBN I decided to check mine...

I never had such high percentage of removed QSOs before. Last three year's
CQ WW from VE3EJ + two recent WRTCs usually showed more or less good UBN
rate (within 1%).
But ... my last year's CQ WW CW UBN shows 6% of points reduction which means
loss of
approximately
500,000 points! IT REALLY HURTS.
After I discovered that, I tried to analyze WHAT happened and WHY it
happened.

First, and the most considerable part of loss is "-N" - i.e. not in your
corrsepondent's LOG. Since I was the only zone 2 station in the recent CQ WW
CW it's still a mystery for me why such a significant amount of U.S. guys
didn't
LOG me... I remeber huge pile-ups and some of the stations calls whom I
later found in my "-N" file... K2XF (sorry) for example didn't LOG me on two
bands... I don't know why and  I can't explain that.
But this is not a big deal  'cuz LOG checkers have nothing to do with it -
these Qs are just simply not in the other station's LOG. Period.

What really bothers me is WHY some of the calls are considered to be "U"
(unique) and others - "B" (bad).

Few calls in my LOG were marked "bad" - S52OOO, RZ6HGG, LZ2OA and some
others - and they were removed + I was penalized for them. But when I
checked my everyday LOG I found that I had more than 1 QSO with above
stations besides the Contest.
Interesting - I worked LZ2OA during the same Contest in 1999 - and it was
counted as good QSO! What happened in 2000?
To the other hand the following calls were marked as "U" - YU7AL (I had 15
Qs with him since 1999 !), UT4UYA (2), UT7EV (3), F5KDC (2).

I really respect CQ WW comittee and fully support its great effort in making
playing field equal and fair. With computer LOG checking, CQ WW attracts
more and more participants every year.
But still it would be interesting to know what criteria is being used to
devide the calls into "-B" and "U".

Thank You.
Yuri  VA3UZ / VE2IM / UT4UZ

-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com