[CQ-Contest] 3 QSO penalty

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Sat Aug 25 11:31:14 EDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 10:02:35PM -0400, Guy Olinger, K2AV wrote:

> [...]

No, but if you give the other station reason to believe that you have all
the information and no longer need repeats or fills (i.e. sending "TU QRZ K2AV
CONTEST") and then remove the QSO from your log, I would consider that a
problem.

> What about the obvious conundrum, bandied about considerably, that
> unless we KNOW it's a QSO, we're not supposed to log it. We are talking
> about a contact you claim in other email is NOTa QSO in any sense under
> the rules.

A completed QSO is not the same as a completed QSO with perfect information
exchange.  A completed QSO should always be logged.  Ideally, all completed
QSOs should have perfect information exchange.  If, after completing a QSO,
you realize it has imperfect information, I don't think you should just remove
it.  That's like committing a foul in basketball and then saying "oops, I
didn't mean to do that, let's not count it."

> You can't have both of these in the same logical rule space.
>

> 73,  Guy.
>

> --
> Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com