[CQ-Contest] prejudicial language

Roger Parsons ve3zi at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 28 03:56:31 EDT 2001

> >I made the point that the upper 50kHz of the band could be used for inter
>NA
> >contacts. It could not be used for intercontinental contacts.
>
>And that is entirely my point, Roger. At issue here is the crucial 40 kHz
>from 1810-1850 kHz that IS useful for intercontinental contacts.

The overwhelming majority of 160m QSOs in any phone contest are same
continent.

> >The internationally agreed IARU band plans show the lower part of 160m as
> >exclusively CW and the upper part for mixed mode. That is why the SSB
> >operators should fill the phone part of the band before encroaching on
>the
> >CW part.
>
>That depends on what you mean by "filling the phone part." If the SSB
>operators are attempting to make intercontinental QSOs, then the only
>phone part that is useful is the 1810-1850 kHz region.

All the SSB operators would LIKE to make intercontinental QSOs. Most of them
don't. The same thing applies to a lesser extent to the CW operators.
Semantics again - 'only phone part' is a very tendacious statement. I repeat
that, at present, according to internationally agreed band plans, there is a
CW part of the band.

>I don't agree with this phylosophy of "splitting" the band by assigning
>all the prime DX frequencies to CW only, relegating SSB (as well as other
>modes) to the relative swampland of the rest of the band.

I have never suggested that.

> >At the
> >moment however, CW is vastly more popular on 160m than any digimode.
>
>Part of the reason is technical. Being so far below the MUF (at least
>most of the time), 160m is subject to inter-symbol distortions caused by
>multi-path propagation. High symbol rate digital signals don't work. This
>is the reason that 300 baud packet doesn't work on 80m, and 45 baud RTTY
>doesn't work on 160m.
>
>However, the emergence of low-symbol rate digital modes such as PSK31
>should cause an increase in popularity of the digital modes, since these
>modes are usable on 160m.

Well. Sure. If and when these modes become more popular for intercontinental
DXing on 160m and CW becomes less popular then let them have more spectrum.
They most certainly don't need anything like 5kHz at the moment. And they
even more certainly don't need 5kHz of  'prime DX frequencies' to make inter
US contacts.

> >It is fairly unlikely that many countries will expand their amateur
> >allocations on 160m in the near future. I suggested a split at 1830
>because
> >there would be some possibility of adherence to the bandplan.

Actually, even a split at 1830 would cause problems. There is no single
frequency on 160m where every country has an allocation, and some
significant countries are not allowed to work below 1830 at all, while some
others are not allowed to work above it at all.

>I think a split at 1830 is fair, because it divides the 40 kHz of
>intercontinental DX frequencies evenly. My only objection is that digital
>operations should be accounted for more than 5 kHz of room. Other than
>that, we're in perfect agreement.

My reason for suggesting the split at 1830 had nothing to do with fairness.
It was entirely a recognition of real politik.

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com