[CQ-Contest] Hard-disc recovery ?

Mike Gilmer - N2MG n2mg at contesting.com
Mon Dec 17 06:03:41 EST 2001

On Sun, 16 Dec 2001 02:08:18 +0100, Ragnar Otterstad wrote:

> I just had a hard disc crash. With it went my logs.
> Can somebody tell me if it
> is possible to read/ restore  a bad hard-drive.

Yes, it's *possible*, but it depends on just how bad the disk is damaged.  I had a drive that went south (I could no longer boot from it).  I unplugged the bad drive (left in place physically) and installed a new hard disk, made it bootable, installed the OS, etc.  I then re-installed the bad drive as D: and I could then read it.  I quickly copied off all the important files.

If you have a bootable floppy of the same version OS, you might be able to boot from the floppy and then access the hard disk.

There are places that repair/restore hard disks professionally, but I have no experience with them.

73 Mike N2MG

http://www.peoplepc.com

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com