[CQ-Contest] FT-1000(D) Key Clicks

Scott Ellington sdelling at facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon Dec 17 09:56:04 EST 2001

After a complaint from a prominent east coast contester during the 160 contest,
I found that my FT-1000D did indeed have some horrible key clicks.  A simple mod
eliminates them.  This problem is probably generic to the FT-1000(D), and shows
up as a peak in the clicks about 1 kHz above and below the carrier frequency.
If you use this radio with an amplifier, you really should install the fix.  As
says W8JI, who came up with the fix, "It's already too crowded out there."
Email me for details on the modifications.

It seems strange that Yaesu could screw up something so simple, but I suppose
we're lucky they make radios that work on CW at all.

Note that this mod does not apply to the MP or Mark V, though they may also have
  some problems with clicks.  (See w8ji.com)  I ran a quick test with a local
Mark V, and it seemed pretty clean.  I don't know about the original MP.

The FT-1000(D) mod is completely effective, though sometimes one might wish to
be able to turn the clicks back on to discourage another clicky station from
parking next door!

73,

Scott  K9MA

--