[CQ-Contest] M/S 10 Meter Contest - Question for Entrants

TOMK5RC at aol.com TOMK5RC at aol.com
Wed Dec 19 10:28:02 EST 2001

Geez guys, we revisit these same issues midway through every contest season.
How about a little perspective?

1.  There are many contests with many formats that give variety and different
challenges. Why do we want to make them all the same by cloning rules from
one to the other? It would make little sense to have the format of the 160
contest and the 10M contest exactly the same because of different dynamics
and a different base of operators. The lack of a 10 minute rule allowed me to
operate SO2R with packet in the 10M contest. It was a different strategy,
different scenario and The Old Man had fun competing against the guys who had
2 to 4 ops and breaking 2Meg from the West Coast.

2.  While this thread is going, the "technology" thread has been raging on
the WriteLog reflector. The old controversy about "supercheck partial" and
the logging program unfairly entering known states and provinces
automatically has reared its ugly head. The truth is that technology is going
to evolve every year and, if we don't continue to push the envelope
contesting will cease to be a challenge. There is no such thing as a level
playing field in life and none in radio contests. Those who hone their
skills, utilize the best tools available and work the hardest will prevail
every time.

3.  SO2R has been quite a revelation to contesting and a real challenge to us
old farts. Guess what, we adapt, embrace change or go atrophy in a corner. My
challenge right now it to master SO2R and to learn to use at least half of
the features on my FT1000MP. After all, how far away can SO3R be?

Tom, K5RC
aka NV7A

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com