[CQ-Contest] rudeness and working pile-ups

ab0mv at ix.netcom.com ab0mv at ix.netcom.com
Wed Dec 19 14:53:46 EST 2001

> I have my suspicion that this guy "quits" a lot more than just ham radio.

 Not necessarily. Contesting is my favorite aspect of amateur radio but I also get tired of the rude operators in pile-ups. In the last phone SS there were so many rude operators that I decided to quit several hours early. I thought to myself----this isn't fun anymore and I have better things to do with my time than listen to this mess. In the 10m contest a strong US station tried to break in while I was trying to work a weak EA1. Instead of respecting the current QSO, he tried to blow through for a quick point. I ignored him. I have noticed that some contests seem to elicit more rudeness and I am finding myself putting more effort into the fun ones.

 Some of the rudeness can be better managed by the big stations calling CQ.  (This is not directed to KL7RA whome I have heard and who works them well.)  Too often big signal stations and even rare DX do not say QRZ nor give any signal when they are done with contact and awaiting people to call him/her.  This encourages unruly behavior---people breaking in during QSOs and calling over and over and drawing out the pile-up way too long. At times people lose control by calling for the 9 station and then answering a non-9 station and
 that signals that people do not need to listen to the CQer's request.

 I do not know this particular ham's history, but you can bet that if I feel the same way (me who loves contesting!), then casual contestors and newbies to contesting are experiencing the same.

 73
 Merri AB0MV

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com