[CQ-Contest] Re: Logging Dupes

Scott Ellington sdelling at facstaff.wisc.edu
Wed Dec 19 15:18:01 EST 2001

Tonno Vahk wrote:

> What do you think? Is it OK? It's not really carelessness but sober and
> calculated behaviour and thus you can't really blame them, can you?

I believe every operator in a contest has an obligation to make an honest effort
not to call dupes.  I certainly don't think it's fair to waste another
operator's time with deliberate dupes.  We all make mistakes and work a few
dupes, but I think we owe it to other operators to try to avoid them.  As far as
"insurance" mults, you shouldn't have put the qso in the log the first time if
you weren't sure.  If there is any doubt, there are various ways you can verify
the contact when it happens, which is especially worthwhile for rare mults.

That said, I'll continue to work and log the dupes who call me, except when it's
likely to take a lot of time due to weak signals, etc., and the ones who try to
work me more than twice.

73,

Scott  K9MA

--