[CQ-Contest] Logging Dupes

Karl Kaukis Karl at kaukis.com
Wed Dec 19 21:20:24 EST 2001

My take on this whole issue is that not logging dupes is not smart
contesting.

I am what you would call a casual contester and typically work S&P so pretty
much I have a very good idea of who I am calling.  I also use logging
software so it is very nearly impossible for me to call a previously logged
station ("%B%B" at the.start of the S&P call macro in Writelog).

I get "QSO B4" several times during a typical contest.

Most of those stations are run stations who think they worked me but didn't.
Probably I worked a nearby station - but not them (a particular issue in CW
and SSB contests).

Perhaps I busted a call.  Thats possible too, but in most of the cases, I
have nothing vaguely like the "QSO B4" station in my log at anywhere close
to the time they indicate.

Most stations will work me again but frankly the wasted time for them and me
with the QSO B4 rigamarole and the exchange of the times and then me calling
them again to tell them they are not in my log and would they please log me
again is not particularly good contesting efficiency either for them or for
me.

So if you are sending me the "QSO B4" message, I can almost guarantee that
your "B4 QSO" isn't going to count after they check the logs because you are
not in my log - one way or the other.

Log it and move on.  You don't know who screwed up on these - you or the
other station.