[CQ-Contest] Bad Packet Spots

Mike Gilmer - N2MG n2mg at contesting.com
Sun Dec 23 06:11:15 EST 2001

On Thu, 20 December 2001, "Jamie WW3S" wrote:

> I've been helping beta test the N1MM windows based
> logging program... the problem came when I would
> find an open freq and start calling CQ. Sometimes
> the program would not "switch" from s&p to run
> mode when F1 was pressed ( as its supposed to). This
> caused the stations I were working to be spotted
> with my run freq.

Another program with a mode mentality is TRLog.  I'm
sure many of you CW ops operate with the monitor off
(saves the ears, as well as allows second radio
listening).  When using TR sometimes, when S&Ping, and
expecting TR to be in S&P mode, a contester will think
they are sending their own call by hitting <ENTER>
(the "do all" key in TR) but instead, since the
program is in CQ mode, they are actually sending
out "CQ de <MYCALL>".  Makes them out as a frequency-
stealing lid, doesn't it?

Sure there are bogons out there deliberately trying to
mess up your day, but "learning curve" mistakes are
all over.

Mike N2MG

http://www.peoplepc.com

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com