[CQ-Contest] Re: 2 dB more?

Leigh S. Jones kr6x at kr6x.com
Sun Dec 30 21:40:29 EST 2001

The KT-36XA is well respected for its 10 meter performance.  In a
couple of years, though, the 10 meter band will close for a few years
and barely allow contacts during that period.  You may have only
worked 10 meters for several years, but I do believe you'd find that
you'd miss out on a lot of fun on 20 if you put up a monobander at
this time.  Unless, of course, you're planning on putting the
tribander
back up in about a year.

2 dB won't make much difference in a single pileup, but over the
course of a 48 hour contest it can make a big difference in a score.
You've overlooked a bigger influence on your score -- if you shy
away from runs your score will be affected.  Perhaps you just get
a kick out of breaking through pileups, but most of the list
members really enjoy the runs, when they can get them.  Most of
the list members would prefer to get their whole score from runs
if it didn't penalize them with a lower score.  Learning to handle
the mess is the basic skill of contesting.  Contesting is a contact
sport.

For what it's worth, that's my opinion.  You need a 5 or 6 band
capability to do basic contesting.  To learn contesting you need
to get on for the NAQP, the SS and the DX tests and learn
the strategy of band changes.  You need all the skills -- hearing
through lightning crashes on 80, hearing through the broadcast
sidebands on 40, need I go on?