[CQ-Contest] 87A question

Dick Green dick.green at valley.net
Tue Jan 23 04:15:54 EST 2001

Using my SO2R station, I tested the 87A band switching by transmitting with
one rig (FT-1000D/87A) and listening on the other (FT-1000MP). Here's what I
found:

1. When using a single dit or dah to change bands, the element is passed
through at low power.

2. Regardless of target frequency or keyer speed, I cannot hear any
shortening of the first element.

3. If the key is held down throughout the band change, the carrier is
transmitted at low power until tuning is completed. Then the amp ramps power
up to maximum over a period of about one second. No interruption of RF is
required for the amp to switch from low to high power.

4. There appears to be no loss of power when the signal is transmitted at
low power (i.e., peak S-meter reading is identical for a single dit that
causes a band change and for a single dit when the amp is in standby.)

I don't have a storage scope here, but I'd say this implies a sampling speed
that's alot faster than 50-100ms, and T/R circuitry that can hot switch the
PINs. I took a quick look at the schematic, and there does appear to be some
sort of frequency divider network made up of four CMOS 4520's and two TTL
74HC165's. Don't have time now to get the books down and figure it out.

73, Dick WC1M

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com