[CQ-Contest] Dinged Good QSOs

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Tue Jul 31 23:09:36 EDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 07:22:18PM -0700, Mike Gilmer - N2MG wrote:
> On Tue, 31 July 2001, George Fremin III - K5TR wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 05:28:21PM +0000, Ed wrote:
> > >
> > > Tree N6TR wrote:
> > > For example, I recently had feedback that a QSO was NIL in a single
> > > band
> > > 10 meter log because the other station logged the QSO on 15 meters.
> > > While it is pretty obvious what happened and where the fault lies,
> > > there is no way for the log checking program to know all of the facts
> > > and be able to "do the right thing".  In this case, both parties will
> > > lose credit for the QSO.
> >
> > In Tree's example you could assume that the single band entry
> > is in the right but, how do you know?  You don't.
>
> Some ops operate single-band - but do a little extracurricular operating to boost their clubs' scores.  I think CQWW allows that.  So that questionable 15m QSO could very well have been on 15m and mislogged by the 10m station (by mistake or, perish the thought, on purpose).

Or, they're seriously contesting on 10M and decide to make a QSO or two
on other bands with stations that fill in their "needs" list for DXCC or WAZ
or even county hunting...

> The software should not be expected to try to tell the difference.

I agree.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com