[CQ-Contest] Mode 516 Suggestions

David Robbins k1ttt at berkshire.net
Mon Jul 9 22:16:56 EDT 2001

Bill Coleman wrote:

> On 7/6/01 7:57 PM, W. Wright, W5XD at w5xd at writelog.com wrote:
>

> >"Ethernet" sounds best to me, but that can mean lots of different things.
> >I'd add some qualifications. Before listing them, let me describe the end
> >result. You buy your radio and the ONLY connectors on it are power, 10BaseT
> >ethernet, and an RF connector. You plug the 3 of them in (the ethernet goes
> >into a 10BaseT hub).
>
> That's one point in favor of USB -- you could dispense with the Power
> connector. <grin>

only if you run qrp.  if i remember right a usb device can only draw 500ma at 5v
from the hub.

> >Bring up your favorite internet browser, type in the URL for the radio, and
> >the radio serves up a web page with its front panel on it and feeds your
> >browser the received audio.
> >
> >Here are the specs I think would accomplish that:
> >
> >hardware:
> >
> >10BaseT        100Mbps
>
> 10BaseT is only 10Mbps -- but plenty fast enough.

ok, so make it 100baseT... but 10baseT should be plenty fast even for multiple
channels of audio.

> And you could make the radio simpler by putting some of the operations
> into that Java applet you download into the host computer. Who says the
> entire radio has to be made of hardware?

AND, you could add new features, fix bugs, and customize it by adding
downloadable modules.  this is already happening in the digital modes where the
final detection and initial signal generation is done by the computer on the
sound card.

--
David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto://k1ttt@berkshire.net