[CQ-Contest] Extent of computerization (was: Mode 516 suggestions)

David Robbins k1ttt at berkshire.net
Thu Jul 12 00:02:45 EDT 2001

Paul EI5DI wrote:

> I'd like to thank Bill AA4LR for his comments.  Just to emphasize that
> all my remarks are in the context of what I see as legitimate
> practices for amateur radio contesting.  I've as many prejudices as
> anyone else, so please don't anyone take this personally.
>
> > >  EI5DI:  1. (Amateur Radio Contesters) Use the ionosphere as their
> sole means of propagation.
>
> > AA4LR:   I see nothing in a better computer/radio integration that
> would affect this. (Although some contacts are clearly made with
> ground wave, but I get what you mean)
>
> That's fine with me so long as the operator(s), at both ends, are
> physically located close to where the computer/radio integration
> occurs.  For example, remote control or an internet link would, of
> itself, change the operation from amateur radio contesting to amateur
> (whatever you prefer to call it yourself - I suggested wirrio)
> contesting.

you say 'close to where the computer/radio integration occurs' what is the
difference between me turning my chair around to operate the radio, and if i
remote controlled it from this desk?  where does the radio end and the computer
begin?  where does the line get drawn if i feed the raw digitized IF out and do
dsp in the operator's computer?  why do this??? its a technical challenge of the
type that hams have been working on for years.  we are pushing the envelope,
taking digital technologies from broadcast and other industries for remote
control and sensing and applying them to a new problem... how to remotely
control a contest station well enough to compete.

now, once i get it working from the other table to this one, what is the
difference if i link to it from the internet and go down the road to a friends
house who can't travel and operate in a contest? or access it from another city
while on a trip when i can't get home in time to contest?  or have a contester
in another country who wants to experience propagation from this area use it?
or set up a m/m with operators in different cities who can't all get here at
once???  again, its just more technical challanges to be overcome... all it does
is make it easier for someone to use a station that they can't physically get
to.  it doesn't change the operator's skill, in fact the operator may have to be
more skillful to handle all the problems of remote operation.  it doesn't change
propagation, though the operator may have to keep in mind that he isn't
operating from his normal station.  it doesn't change the station builders
problems, you still have to put up antennas and do all the maintenance.   it
does require advancement in the state of the art and operating techniques, which
in this country are part of the basic reason for the existance of amateur radio
and are written right into the fcc's rules.

--
David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto://k1ttt@berkshire.net

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com