[CQ-Contest] Packet cheating

KI9A at aol.com KI9A at aol.com
Sun Jul 22 13:36:44 EDT 2001

In a message dated 7/22/01 10:58:27 AM Central Daylight Time, kq2m at mags.net
writes:

But lets be VERY clear on this - SO2R without packet is much more
challenging and demanding than SO with packet.  Period!

RIGHT!

Bob, I am not saying SO2R is easy, not at all...I know this, as I have been
experimenting with it for the past year!  What I am saying is where do we
draw the line?  As you would agree, SO2R is an an atvantage over single radio
operation.  With SO2R, you CAN find mults that normally you would not.

It is agreed that in DX contests, tall towers with big mono-banders have an
advatage over a guy with a low dipole. Even if both are in the small power
class.  What, no class for big antennas? ( yeah, WPX has T/S class...)

You hear very little, if anything, about making SO2R a seperate class. You
hear very little if anything about making a class for guys with antennas over
50'.  Or mono-banders. Or stacks. Or 1500 watts compared to 600.

Bottom line is this, you need to increase your skills ( SO2R ), or increase
your hardware ( packet, towers, big amps, ect. ) to increase your score.  Why
not just bunch packet in with these other items?  Computer logging is in most
cases better than paper, electronic keyers better than straight keys,  SO2R
over single,  solid state rigs & amps over tube type, and on and on.  We just
don't need so many classes, period.  Do SO2R guys work thier butts off? Damn
right! Are packet cheaters lazy? Absolutly...

-Chuck KI9A

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com