[CQ-Contest] packet cheaters

Rich Dailey, KA8OKH okh.npi at gte.net
Sun Jul 22 18:00:43 EDT 2001

Chuck writes:
>I think the only cure is to allow packet spotting for everyone.
>73/Chuck KI9A

I agree totally - this has been my opinion (take it for what it's worth)
every time this thread has reared it's head - as it has many MANY times
over the past 4/5 years or so, but with no movement toward
a solution.  Not moving toward a solution to these kinds of problems
has really jaded me on radio sporting over the past couple years.

I commend CQWW and the worldwide group of sysops who are
attempting to weed out the black hats who are quietly using spots
to increase their unassisted scores.  It just seems like too much work
trying to clean up the mess that this catagory now leaves behind.
I know nothing about contest rule making,  but over the past 5-6 years
it has become clear to me that it must be easier to make rules than it is to
take them away.

It's real simple - abolish the assisted/unassisted catagories.  Spotting
today is no longer an elegant thing to have in the contester's shack.
It's as common as memory keyers,  voice processors and cheese puffs.
Why do the rules continue to deify spotting as a "special tool" worthy of
it's own category destinction?  What about the single op who has someone
else tuning around on a second rig in the shack,  sending local spots to the
"real" logging computer?  It's the same situation - how do we enforce that?

tu de Rich, KA8OKH
flames>/dev/null

Rich Dailey, KA8OKH - Phyllis Dailey, KB4NPI
http://home1.gte.net/web22jfw/
Linux Router Project - http://www.linuxrouter.org
"Time - the one true currency."

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com