[CQ-Contest] Why not BAN packet entirely in contests?

Barry Kutner w2up at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 22 18:40:43 EDT 2001

On 22 Jul 01, Marty Tippin wrote:

> If this has been argued before, I've not seen it. Apologies in advance if
> this stirs up a hornet's nest...
>

> What good reason is there to allow the use of packet cluster during contests?

While we're at it, let's ban computers too. Paper logs only with
dupe sheets. Straight keys and bugs only, too. No memory keyers.

> I would propose banning the use of packet cluster in any way (either
> receiving or sending spots) during contests. Especially if *spotting*
> stations on the cluster was banned, it would basically eliminate the use of
> packet cluster during contests (no point in connecting if nobody is
> spotting...)
>
> Please note -- I'm not at all opposed to the use of packet cluster outside
> of contests - it's a great way to find out where the DX is and/or who's on
> the band, where propagation might be best, etc. etc. - I keep DXMon running
> 24 hours on my shack PC and watch all the spots that come in from DXSummit.
>

> I can esily come up with a lot more reasons *not* to allow it than to allow it:
>
> * Ops might actually have to turn the dial, listen, and use a bit of skill
> to find stations to work (a novel idea, I know..) This is not a "level the
> playing field" argument and I don't want to start that. But just think how
> much more true skill is required to tune the band, listening for weak ones
> buried in the noise than it is to simply click on an incoming spot and have
> the rig QSY for you automatically.

I can assure you, competitive ops turn the dial.

> * I've worked multi-single efforts where I believe the packet cluster
> actually worked to the *detriment* of our score -- ops on the mult station
> were so consumed with working every new spot that came in that they never
> used a disciplined approach of scanning the band from one end to the other
> to find new stations (including the many that weren't being spotted). I'm
> certain a lot of mults were missed because of randomly hopping around the band.

Only because they are poor ops. Good ops know how and when to
use packet.

> * The opportunity to cheat is obvious, and apparently a lot more widespread
> than I would have guessed. Eliminate the source of this opportunity and you
> eliminate at least some of the cheating. We'll deal with the 3KW stations
> and the low-power stations running 1KW or more later.

No, deal with them now. A cheater is a cheater. If not packet,
something else.

> * For those connected to internet packet clusters (as I believe the vast
> majority of users now are), a great percentage of the spots that come in
> are worthless and only waste your time when you check. I don't care if JA
> is working ZS on 10m, because I probably can't hear them. But the spots
> (after importing into the logging program) generally don't show the source,
> only the station that was spotted.

So?

> * For DX stations, the packet cluster is often more harmful than helpful to
> the run rate. I've seen many big DX stations comment that it's obvious when
> they were spotted as the pileup gets suddenly huge. Imagine what happens to
> the semi-casual DX with an "average" station who gets spotted and is
> suddenly overwhelmed with the pileup. I'll bet many of them just pull the
> plug and go do something else.

Good ops know how to handle a pileup. If you feel overwhelmed,
either learn how to operate, or feel free to pull the plug.

> The only argument I can think of in favor of allowing packet is that it
> *might* attract more casual and/or inexperienced ops who aren't serious
> about the contest and only want to work a few new ones here and there. But
> keep in mind that these ops in general have less capable stations and are
> only going to be able to work the loudest DX they hear, which is obviously
> easy to find by spinning the dial.

You're finally making sense. If only the big guns were on, the
contest would be very boring. You would want to operate a contest
that all weekend was like SS SUnday afternoon, would you?

> If anyone can come up with more valid reasons for allowing packet cluster
> in a contest, I'm all ears!

Time and technology march on. Deal with it!

73 Barry W2UP

Barry Kutner, W2UP              Internet: w2up at mindspring.com

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com