[CQ-Contest] Why not BAN packet entirely in contests?

Marty Tippin martyt at pobox.com
Sun Jul 22 15:05:10 EDT 2001

At 12:35 PM 7/22/2001 , you wrote:
>Marty Tippin wrote:
> >
> > What good reason is there to allow the use of packet cluster during
> contests?
> >
><lengthy arguments against spotting clipped>
> >

>because packet spotting was designed specifically for and by contesters to
>improve on the limitations of voice spotting over vhf repeaters.  as long as
>outside assistance of any kind is allowed at multi op stations there will be
>spotting, be it by voice or digital methods.

OK - maybe my argument was mis-phrased.

I'd like to see a ban on *any kind* of outside assistance during contests.
Voice, packet, repeater, phone line,whatever. They're all a means to aid
stations in making contacts, but they add nothing to the true measurement
of "skill" that the contest is supposed to be about (bigger towers and
antennas notwithstanding).

-Marty NW0L
  martyt at pobox.com

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com