[CQ-Contest] Why not BAN packet entirely in contests?

Roger Parsons ve3zi at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 23 14:05:54 EDT 2001

I am primarily a 160m DXer, but I really enjoy contests. In CQWW there are
sometimes countries spotted which I need. I therefore operate single band
assisted on 160m. This definitely HURTS my score, because if there is a new
country spotted I devote all my efforts to that one even if it is barely
audible at this location. Rate goes way down, mults go down.

160m may be a special case, but I don't believe that I would miss many mults
without packet. Just the ones which are not really workable from here! On
the other hand when I am spotted my rate shoots up for a short while.

I can't believe that I am unique in this respect .....

It seems to me that packet can be an aid to increasing ones score, and that
to differentiate it from multiple radios, large antennas and other aids is
pure semantics.

73 Roger
VE3ZI