[CQ-Contest] Kudos to CQ WW for Busting Packet Cheaters!

Bill Turner w7ti at dslextreme.com
Tue Jul 24 19:55:52 EDT 2001

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 17:39:44 -0700 (PDT), Ward Silver wrote:

>Do it cleverly enough to avoid detection and the advantage conferred by
>the proscribed behavior, by definition, vanishes :-)
>
>Said in less turgid prose, if nobody can tell the difference between the
>cheater's log and a legit log of a similarly equipped station, then the
>cheater hasn't gained an unfair advantage.  All the effort that went into
>cheating balances a legitimate effort.

I don't see how you figure.  If the cheater is clever enough to
evade detection and manages to pick up some mults he wouldn't
have otherwise gotten, he's ahead of where he would have been had
he gone legit.  If those mults are enough to beat out a legit
station, he wins by cheating.  Had he not cheated, the legit
station would be hanging the certificate.

Right?  Tell me where I'm wrong.

Bill, W7TI

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com