[CQ-Contest] Kudos to CQ WW for Busting Packet Cheaters!

kl7ra kl7ra at blizzard.gcgo.nasa.gov
Wed Jul 25 08:59:33 EDT 2001

Ward N0AX writes:

>Said in less turgid prose, if nobody can tell the difference between the
>cheater's log and a legit log of a similarly equipped station, then the
>cheater hasn't gained an unfair advantage.  All the effort that went into
>cheating balances a legitimate effort.

Hi Ward
This is a regional observation. Here in Alaska you have to leave rate to
hunt multipliers and the packet cheat will crush you simply by conserving
time and getting back to rate as soon as he can. For a competitive fair
score you have to balance the two skills, S/P and rate. For the packet
cheat you just run rate on the best rate band then make a band change
to pop off mults using the "filled in" bandmap which are in freq order,
not time. I doubt you can catch someone doing this unless their log has
a dozen mults in a row in an unreasonal amount of time.

73 Rich KL7RA

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com