[CQ-Contest] Kudos to CQ WW for Busting Packet Cheaters!

Mike Gilmer - N2MG n2mg at contesting.com
Fri Jul 27 08:10:49 EDT 2001

NØAX's recent post

http://lists.contesting.com/_cq-contest/200107/msg00231.html

said it well.

If the risk/benefit is forced low enough, then not only will there be less cheating, it's existence will have less impact.  This is a good thing.  As in specifying how well a radar system can detect a target, catching cheaters this way is a matter of statistics, not certainty.

As to those who are afraid that the CQWW contest guys are acting like gods, I say that they ARE the gods - it's their contest to run as they see fit (yeah, yeah, without the contesters there'd be no contest, blah, blah).  Towit, the CQWW folks historically shoulder the "blame" when cheating goes on (e.g., many posters complain about cheating but say "Harumph, I wrote to CQ but they didn't do anything!")  So now they've taken the bull by the horns.

Just like with UBNs, there will be growing pains.  So be it.

The more I learn (explained to me by those who know, not by those who speculate) the more I realize that the guys defining the detection processes and writing this software really know what the hell they are doing.

I trust them to get it right.  I do so implicitly by operating and turning in a log in a contest they sponsor.

Mike N2MG

http://www.peoplepc.com

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com